ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, August 23, 2013

brief post

Busy lately, so less posting. I suppose that comes as a relief to some people.

I've never commented thoroughly on Robert Venturi. To be honest, I've never read Learning From Las Vegas, so I should do that before I start pontificating about his viewpoints. Of course, lack of information usually doesn't stop me.

I feel that Venturi will be useful to my discussion of Youth in architecture. I mean youth in the sense of age of buildings--not age of occupants. Las Vegas was built from nothing, is based on nothing, and is completely unsustainable. It can be used as the punching bag for the Greens, or as a symbol of our remarkable abilities to defy logic.

And then there is the issue of Ducks versus Decorated Sheds. Like Venturi, I prefer Sheds, but I don't mind having ducks to make the built landscape interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment