ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

madeline gins and the architecture of eternity


Madeline Gins died recently. I had never heard of her, and I don't regard that ignorance as a notable deficiency in my education as a designer. From what I can see, she practiced a rather silly type of architecture--more Dr. Seuss than I think is appropriate for the forces real buildings have to cope with. On the other hand, if I were a child who grew up in one of the dwellings she designed I might have a more sophisticated outlook on the world due to the wonderful geometry that surrounded me.

I recently returned from a trip to Louisiana. Some of the old row houses in New Orleans adopt the same flamboyant colors that you see in the picture above. It's a rebuke to the threat of destruction that persists in that place. Go to it, and let architecture thrive, for we all dwell in Arcadia.

No comments:

Post a Comment