ruminations about architecture and design

Friday, January 17, 2014

we'll see if this turns out to be a good idea


As you might know, towers of ilium has voiced skepticism about the concept of the "smart house." However, I am intrigued by Nest technologies (recently acquired by Google) because they seem to be making products that are actually "smart" without the extreme infrastructure required by the conventional "smart houses." I'm seriously considering getting one of these for my dwelling. I'll probably wait a while, though--at least ten years--the same week I buy a smart phone.

Behavior tracking technology is something that will probably be with us longer than personal automobiles. The ultimate implications are a bit spooky, but as long as there is an override switch, then things should be okay. Thus spake Skynet.

No comments:

Post a Comment