ruminations about architecture and design

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

disturbing revelation


So, although I knew this, I didn't want to admit it. At least, I can claim to have known it, but felt powerless about it, so I ignored it. I just finished reading Concrete Planet by Robert Courland. In some respects, I was disappointed by the book for the simple reason that it was too short--a complaint I also level against The Power Broker.

All the concrete structures we are building today have a lifespan of 50 to 100 years. Not very long by the standards of architecture. On one hand, so what? The utility of our built environments is based on a continual renovation and re-creation, which depends on destruction--voluntary or otherwise. As long as we have energy, oxygen, water, and dirt we'll be okay. On the other hand, if we build with reinforced concrete, which is compromised by the rusting rebar that gives it tensile strength, we are signalling our stupidity and shortsightedness.

The future of concrete has to be non-ferrous reinforcing in concrete. If I make it to old age in the Boston area I am not looking forward to the rancorous debate about the repair and replacement of the Big Dig and other vital concrete infrastructure.

No comments:

Post a Comment