ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, October 14, 2012

the modernist tradition-episode IV


This is not a house. It is a drawing of a house. Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system I can discuss this in what I hope is a more nuanced fashion. This design draws heavily on modernist principles of design--minimal/non-existent ornament, functional geometry, simple windows, and a flat roof. There's a hint of classicism in the triple windows on the front facade, but that can be overlooked. The important thing here is that the character of the house is resolutely anti-urban--its geometry is defined by a narrow lot and a dependence on the automobile. In some respects, it is anti-suburban and anti-rural as well. It proclaims privacy and retreat instead of civic engagement. I'm not sure why I designed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment