ruminations about architecture and design

Sunday, October 28, 2012

in the path of a storm always

Sandy is on its way up the coast of the U.S. and it looks like Massachusetts will get a fair amount of rain, wind and coastal flooding. And this too shall pass. I feel safe in my house, but this sense of safety is an illusion that I maintain with the help of my homeowner's insurance policy (which doesn't cover flood damage, of course). Of greater importance is the elevation at which I sit--which is only a few feet above the flood line.  When it comes to flooding, I like to think that a change of elevation of one foot, even less than one foot, can make all the difference in the world. If I stay here long enough, Nature may test that theory. I'll try to post on it if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment