ruminations about architecture and design

Thursday, October 25, 2012

whom does the architect serve?

    

Architects are constantly and  thoroughly subordinate to those in power. It's simple and obvious, but so many in the  profession talk about "leadership" in a way that seems to convey much more importance to the role of the designer than actually exists.

Like Aristotle, I wear the chain of my clients, and unlike Scrooge, I have the pleasure of forging it and wearing it in this life. When I pass on, I have no illusions that everything I worked on will crumble, or be destroyed by others. The immortality of Homer is something that I could aspire to, but at what risk? To be in the comfortable position of the servant--clothed and fed--is to be exalted.

Towers of ilium is a bit cynical and resigned today. More bombastic posts this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment