ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, June 9, 2014

fire and building types


In theory, this shouldn't happen in the U.S. and  the fact that this happened in China four years ago is embarrassing and tragic, but it demonstrates how fire resistance is something of a learning curve for people. Most construction materials demonstrate poor performance when subjected to fire. Concrete is not necessarily the best choice, nor can it be considered "fireproof" by a strict definition of the term.

I need to get more familiar with fire resistant assembly methods. I feel like I understand the basic principles, but I can't answer complex questions. Can I have a wood floor in a high rise? Sure, as long as it is a finish surface only. Can I fill any building up with paper and plastics? Sure, no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment