ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, June 2, 2014

order of operations



What is an architectural detail? My definition is shifty and unreliable, but I often try to be pragmatic about the subject because some of my students actually trust me. So, an architectural detail is a graphic depiction of a construction assembly. Now, a detail can also be the built item, but I like to focus on the graphic component, because most design starts with a drawing--and I'm not fussy about the medium used.

The curious thing about architecture is that a major design element can start off as a small item. The issue of scale can be distracting, and untrained observers often sense details without being able to describe their importance. Something that has been lost, or deeply buried, in the design education models is the value of details as decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment