ruminations about architecture and design

Monday, June 23, 2014

harry ellenzweig



Boston architect Harry Ellenzweig died recently and I only discovered that I was familiar with his work because of his obituary. From what I can see, he belongs to a group of architects who applied the vocabulary of modernism to the design of buildings and spaces that worked for the user. His efforts at Alewife station speak to the success of his approach.

I also heard a story about his firm that I find noteworthy. Ellenzweig, and some of his senior associates, would conduct a "walk of pain" in their office. This consisted of stopping by the workstations of junior designers and drafters and asking comprehensive questions about the coordination of drawings and specifications. This quality control procedure resulted in buildings that had fewer errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment