ruminations about architecture and design

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

the future moves backwards


A rendering of proposed renovations to my former office building (it's the beige, narrow structure)

I don't think I have strong feelings about this.The last time I was in the office I had a brief sense of nostalgia, but then I got on the elevator and rode it down and walked away. Whatever poetry the architecture had wasn't that significant. We invest places with a sense of soul and spirit, but we sometimes forget that it's only the people who keep a place alive. When you come across an old cellar hole in the woods you can imagine who was there, and your imagination invests that  collection of rubble with a reality that transcends the facts of history.

For 8 Newbury Street, there is only money.

No comments:

Post a Comment